classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
slawowski slawowski
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Blinking white polygons

Hi,

In my application I'm using an osgEarth planet model instead of a planet generated by VirtualPlanetBuilder, which I was using earlier. Integration of osgEarth model required a few changes in my code, but I got stuck at the following problem:

When I move the camera closer to the surface of the earth and look around, I see white polygons (in fact quads) blinking in the left bottom area of my application window, like in the screenshots below. It seems that they appear at the time when tiles for higher LODs are created, because after a while white polygons  they disappear. They pop up in a sequence: one appears on the screen for a moment, then disappears, another one appears (in different position and other shape), and so on.

I don't have this problem when I switch to VPB planet model, that is why I'm posting my problem here. Do you have any ideas? Can it be connected with osgEarth or it must be a different issue?

Best regards,
Slawek

jasonbeverage jasonbeverage
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Blinking white polygons

Hi Slawek,

What kind of graphics card are you running on?  Also, what datasources are you using in osgEarth?  Perhaps updating your graphics driving will fix the issue.  Also, see if you can try it on a different machine with a different graphics card and see if the problem goes away.

Also, what version of osgEarth/OpenSceneGraph are you using?

Jason

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 9:58 AM, slawowski (via Nabble) <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

In my application I'm using an osgEarth planet model instead of a planet generated by VirtualPlanetBuilder, which I was using earlier. Integration of osgEarth model required a few changes in my code, but I got stuck at the following problem:

When I move the camera closer to the surface of the earth and look around, I see white polygons (in fact quads) blinking in the left bottom area of my application window, like in the screenshots below. It seems that they appear at the time when tiles for higher LODs are created, because after a while white polygons  they disappear. They pop up in a sequence: one appears on the screen for a moment, then disappears, another one appears (in different position and other shape), and so on.

I don't have this problem when I switch to VPB planet model, that is why I'm posting my problem here. Do you have any ideas? Can it be connected with osgEarth or it must be a different issue?

Best regards,
Slawek

View message @ http://n2.nabble.com/Blinking-white-polygons-tp3534847p3534847.html
To start a new topic under osgEarth, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from osgEarth, click here.

slawowski slawowski
Reply | Threaded
|

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your reply. I'm running on NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX, but I have seen my problem also on two other machines, one of them was with ATI Radeon HD3870 graphics card. I'm using VPB and Google datasources and some combinations of them - the problem exists for every configuration.

I'm using osgEarth 1.2 and OSG 2.8.2. I've also tried the head revision of osgEarth, but it hasn't solved the problem.

Slawek
jasonbeverage jasonbeverage
Reply | Threaded
|

Do you see the same issues when you run the .earth files in the tests directory with osgviewer?  Also, are you you running this inside of your own application or in osgviewer?

Jason

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 10:20 AM, slawowski (via Nabble) <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Jason,

Thanks for your reply. I'm running on NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX, but I have seen my problem also on two other machines, one of them was with ATI Radeon HD3870 graphics card. I'm using VPB and Google datasources and some combinations of them - the problem exists for every configuration.

I'm using osgEarth 1.2 and OSG 2.8.2. I've also tried the head revision of osgEarth, but it hasn't solved the problem.

Slawek

View message @ http://n2.nabble.com/Blinking-white-polygons-tp3534847p3534992.html
To start a new topic under osgEarth, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from osgEarth, click here.

slawowski slawowski
Reply | Threaded
|

This is my own application, where I create osgEarth MapNode dynamically. When I run .earth files externally with osgviewer everything works fine. However, when I read .earth file in my application in a standard OSG way (osgDB::readNodeFile) the problem with white polygons also appears.

Generally, my aplication is a complex one. If you don't have any direct ideas about the reasons for the problem, then I will have to look for them in my code.

Thanks for your help,
Slawek