Google Flat Projection

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
DiB DiB
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Google Flat Projection

I ran today with the Google Maps in Flat projection mode.  The Flat projection seemed to have worked, but was scaled very small (approx 1 meter across for the entire earth map).  Is there a way to scale it up to a "proper" size or to know what scale it is being delivered in?
jasonbeverage jasonbeverage
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Google Flat Projection

Hi DiB,

Running something like Google Maps in flat mode should go from -180, ~ -85 to 180, ~85.  So the units are in degrees, not meters.

Hope that helps!

Jason

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 9:32 PM, DiB (via Nabble) - No Reply <[hidden email]> wrote:
I ran today with the Google Maps in Flat projection mode.  The Flat projection seemed to have worked, but was scaled very small (approx 1 meter across for the entire earth map).  Is there a way to scale it up to a "proper" size or to know what scale it is being delivered in?

View message @ http://n2.nabble.com/Google-Flat-Projection-tp2338728p2338728.html
To start a new topic under osgEarth, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from osgEarth, click here.

jasonbeverage jasonbeverage
Reply | Threaded
|

In reply to this post by DiB
Hi DiB,

I thought about this a little more and think it makes more sense to render Mercator datasets like Google Maps in meters in order to preserve the original proportions of the mercator projection.  If you do an svn update, you should have mercator datasets rendering in meters.

Thanks!

Jason

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 9:54 PM, Jason Beverage <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi DiB,

Running something like Google Maps in flat mode should go from -180, ~ -85 to 180, ~85.  So the units are in degrees, not meters.

Hope that helps!

Jason

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 9:32 PM, DiB (via Nabble) - No Reply <[hidden email]> wrote:

View message @ http://n2.nabble.com/Google-Flat-Projection-tp2338728p2338728.html
To start a new topic under osgEarth, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from osgEarth, click here.

DiB DiB
Reply | Threaded
|

Perfect!  That's makes much more sense to my application! :)