LineDrawable vs FeatureNode with LineString...

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
2LR 2LR
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

LineDrawable vs FeatureNode with LineString...

I'm needing some advice...

I'm trying to decide which approach to use to connect a series of points with line segments over the earth surface

Here are my requirements:

1. During runtime, I need to add, delete, update, and insert points during runtime along the line segment path.
2. The path segments between points can be quite long (over 100 miles).
3. I don't need to clamp the points or the line segments to the terrain as the points themselves will always be above the terrain.
4. I do need the line segments to follow the curvature of the earth surface.

Based on the research I've done so far, I'm leaning more towards the featureNode with lineString because of the built-in tessellation it provides to handle the curvature of the earth. However, LineDrawable seems to be more nimble in doing dynamic updates of geometry as listed in 1. above where the featureNode is more cumbersome when changing points along the path.

Any feedback or help would be appreciated so I can make the right decision for my implementation...

Shayne
gwaldron gwaldron
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: LineDrawable vs FeatureNode with LineString...

Shayne,

LineDrawable is more of a "primitive" rendering object. In fact, FeatureNode will use LineDrawable to create line strings. LineDrawable knows nothing of terrain, spatial references, tessellation, etc. It simply renders lines. So if you use it directly just know you will need to manage all the other stuff yourself.

FeatureNode understands all that geospatial stuff. Like you said, it is a little less "flexible" when it comes to dynamic data -- you basically have to regenerate it by calling dirty() if you change the underlying geometry. If this overhead is acceptable in your application then FeatureNode is a better choice.

Hope this helps. -gw
Glenn Waldron / Pelican Mapping
2LR 2LR
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: LineDrawable vs FeatureNode with LineString...

Thank you Glenn for the feedback. It's just what I needed to know.

Based on your response, I'm leaning towards the feature approach to meet our needs since it brings a lot of capabilities to the table that we need.

Thanks again.

Shayne