MVT rendering problems in version 2.10.1

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
AndreaB AndreaB
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

MVT rendering problems in version 2.10.1

Hello everyone,

I'm having problems in rendering the MVT files using osgEarth release version 2.10.1. I have successfully built osgEarth and its relative dependencies using MSVC2015 x64.

However when I launch osgearth_viewer on the test file feature_mapnikvectortiles.earth I don't see the vector data. The same effect I get if a try to render other MVT files downloaded, e. g. from the official OpenStreetMap website.

I have also tried to print the info using OSGEARTH_NOTIFY_LEVEL=INFO and I get the following outputs:

[osgEarth]  [EarthSerializer2] Loaded extension lib "osgPlugins-3.6.3/osgdb_osgearth_viewpointsd.dll"
[osgEarth]  [Map] cache=none; policy=read-write; bin=no
[osgEarth]  [TerrainLayer] Layer "readymap_elevation" Creating "tms" driver
[osgEarth]  [TMSTileSource] TMS tile map datestamp = Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT
[osgEarth]  [TerrainLayer] Layer "readymap_elevation" Profile=[srs=unknown, min=-180,-90 max=180,90 lod0=2,1 vdatum=geodetic]
[osgEarth]  [TerrainLayer] Layer "readymap_elevation" cache=none; policy=read-write; bin=no
[osgEarth]  [MVT FeatureSource] Got levels from metadata 14, 14
[osgEarth]  [FeatureModelLayer] Setting feature source "osm"
[osgEarth]  [Map] Map profile is: [srs=unknown, min=-180,-90 max=180,90 lod0=2,1 vdatum=geodetic]
[osgEarth]  [FeatureModelGraph] osgEarth.FeatureModelGraph: Computed max range 9.51279e+07 for lod 0
[osgEarth]  [FeatureModelGraph] osgEarth.FeatureModelGraph: Computed max range 4.7564e+07 for lod 1
[osgEarth]  [FeatureModelGraph] osgEarth.FeatureModelGraph: Computed max range 2.3782e+07 for lod 2
[osgEarth]  [FeatureModelGraph] osgEarth.FeatureModelGraph: Computed max range 1.1891e+07 for lod 3
[osgEarth]  [FeatureModelGraph] osgEarth.FeatureModelGraph: Computed max range 5.9455e+06 for lod 4
[osgEarth]  [FeatureModelGraph] osgEarth.FeatureModelGraph: Computed max range 2.97275e+06 for lod 5
[osgEarth]  [FeatureModelGraph] osgEarth.FeatureModelGraph: Computed max range 1.48637e+06 for lod 6
[osgEarth]  [FeatureModelGraph] osgEarth.FeatureModelGraph: Computed max range 743187 for lod 7
[osgEarth]  [FeatureModelGraph] osgEarth.FeatureModelGraph: Computed max range 371594 for lod 8
[osgEarth]  [FeatureModelGraph] osgEarth.FeatureModelGraph: Computed max range 185797 for lod 9
[osgEarth]  [FeatureModelGraph] osgEarth.FeatureModelGraph: Computed max range 92898.4 for lod 10
[osgEarth]  [FeatureModelGraph] osgEarth.FeatureModelGraph: Computed max range 46449.2 for lod 11
[osgEarth]  [FeatureModelGraph] osgEarth.FeatureModelGraph: Computed max range 23224.6 for lod 12
[osgEarth]  [FeatureModelGraph] osgEarth.FeatureModelGraph: Computed max range 11612.3 for lod 13
[osgEarth]  [FeatureModelGraph] osgEarth.FeatureModelGraph: Computed max range 5806.15 for lod 14
[osgEarth]  [TerrainLayer] Layer "esri imagery" Creating "arcgis" driver
[osgEarth]  [TerrainLayer] Layer "esri imagery" Profile=[srs=unknown, min=-20037508.34278925,-20037508.34278925 max=20037508.34278925,20037508.34278925 lod0=1,1 vdatum=geodetic]
[osgEarth]  [TerrainLayer] Layer "esri imagery" cache=none; policy=read-write; bin=no
[osgEarth]  [ViewpointsExtension] Read 1 viewpoints
[osgEarth]  [engine_rex] Activated!
[osgEarth]  [Capabilities] osgEarth Version: 2.10.1
[osgEarth]  [Capabilities] OSG Version:      3.6.3
[osgEarth]  [Capabilities] GDAL Version:     3.0.0
[osgEarth]  [Capabilities] Detected hardware capabilities:
[osgEarth]  [Capabilities]   Vendor = Intel
[osgEarth]  [Capabilities]   Renderer = Intel(R) HD Graphics 4400
[osgEarth]  [Capabilities]   Version = 4.3.0 - Build 20.19.15.4531
[osgEarth]  [Capabilities]   Core Profile = no
[osgEarth]  [Capabilities]   Max GPU texture units = 32
[osgEarth]  [Capabilities]   Max GPU texture coord indices = 8
[osgEarth]  [Capabilities]   Max GPU attributes = 16
[osgEarth]  [Capabilities]   Depth buffer bits = 24
[osgEarth]  [Capabilities]   Max texture size = 8192
[osgEarth]  [Capabilities]   GLSL = yes
[osgEarth]  [Capabilities]   GLSL Version = 430
[osgEarth]  [Capabilities]   Texture arrays = yes
[osgEarth]  [Capabilities]   draw instanced = yes
[osgEarth]  [Capabilities]   Texture buffers = yes
[osgEarth]  [Capabilities]   Texture buffer max size = 134217728
[osgEarth]  [Capabilities]   Compression = ARB S3
[osgEarth]  [PagerLoader] Merges per frame = 20
[osgEarth]  [TerrainResources] Texture unit 0 reserved for Terrain Color
[osgEarth]  [TerrainResources] Texture unit 1 reserved for Terrain Elevation
[osgEarth]  [TerrainResources] Texture unit 2 reserved for Terrain Normals
[osgEarth]  [TerrainResources] Texture unit 3 reserved for Terrain Parent Color

My main system setup is the following:

System: Windows 10 x64
Compiler: MSVC2015 x64
osgEarth: 2.10.1
OpenSceneGraph: 3.6.3
GDAL: 3.0.0
Protobuf: 3.8.0 (shared)
SQLITE3: 3.28.0

Is there something wrong with my configuration? What can I do to fix it.

Many thanks for your kind attention.

AndreaB
gwaldron gwaldron
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MVT rendering problems in version 2.10.1

Andrea,
Do you have your GDAL_DATA environment variable set? It should be pointing at GDAL's data directory.
i ask because of seeing "srs=unknown" in the output.
Glenn Waldron / Pelican Mapping
AndreaB AndreaB
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MVT rendering problems in version 2.10.1

This post was updated on .
Hi Glenn,

Yes: I have set the GDAL_DATA variable to a valid path. If I run ogrinfo on the file honolulu.mbtiles (and on other mvt or mbtiles files) I obtain a valid reply.

Running osgearth_viewer on the mb_tiles.earth example works fine. It seems that the problem is only with vector tiles.

Thanks for your reply.

Andrea
AndreaB AndreaB
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MVT rendering problems in version 2.10.1

I have an update about this topic. I have rebuilt many times osgEarth with different versions of GDAL, Protobuf and PROJ4.

Finally I have found a valid configuration that allowed me to successfully view the MVT on osgEarth.

Actually the configuration that worked is the following:

GDAL: 2.3.0
PROTOBUF: 3.6.0
PROJ4: 4.0.0

It seems that the major problem is due to the library PROJ4.

I will try other combinations of such libraries to find the best one and I will post it here.

Do you have any information about known compatibility problems of osgEarth with the most recent versions of the above third-party libraries?

Thank you.

Andrea
gwaldron gwaldron
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MVT rendering problems in version 2.10.1

Andrea,
Thanks for tracking this down. We generally use vcpkg here for dependencies; I'm on GDAL 2.3.2 and PROJ4 4.9.3. No one has tried GDAL 3.x yet on our end with osgEarth.
Glenn Waldron / Pelican Mapping
plevy plevy
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MVT rendering problems in version 2.10.1

Andrea,

Did you try using a later version of PROJ?  I see this: PROJ >= 6.0 is a required external dependency from the GDAL 3.0 news here: https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/Release/3.0.0-News

--
Paul Levy : Pelican Mapping


On Mon, Jun 10, 2019 at 3:45 PM gwaldron [via osgEarth] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Andrea,
Thanks for tracking this down. We generally use vcpkg here for dependencies; I'm on GDAL 2.3.2 and PROJ4 4.9.3. No one has tried GDAL 3.x yet on our end with osgEarth.
Glenn Waldron / Pelican Mapping



If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.osgearth.org/MVT-rendering-problems-in-version-2-10-1-tp7592654p7592666.html
To start a new topic under osgEarth, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from osgEarth, click here.
NAML
AndreaB AndreaB
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MVT rendering problems in version 2.10.1

Yes: my first (and desirable) configuration was to use the latest release of all the libraries, starting from osgEarth 2.10.1 and so on.

At first I tried with:

GDAL: 3.0.0
PROTOBUF: 3.8.0
PROJ4: 6.1.0

Apparently everything worked fine but when I run the examples to view the MVT I got the problems...

I think that the main problem is with PROJ4 since running the test feature_mapnikvectortiles.earth and moving at Honolulu it seems that the elevation tiles are not properly rendered: the mountains are shown even on the tiles on the sea...

In the next days I have scheduled to try several rebuilds to find the working configuration with the latest possible releases of the various libraries (e. g. Protobuf up to 3.8.0, PROJ4 up to 6.1.0).

I'll keep track of my trials in this post.

Thanks for your replies.

Andrea
AndreaB AndreaB
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MVT rendering problems in version 2.10.1

Hello again.

Finally I have found a configuration of libraries that solved my problem. I post here my conclusions hoping these help other users.

GDAL version 3.x requires PROJ4 version >= 6. Unfortunately it seems that osgEarth 2.10.1 has some problems using such version of PROJ4. I don't know why but using PROJ4 6.1 prevented me to view the MVT and caused strange errors in the management of the elevation data so that the tiles were not properly rendered.

Using PROJ4 version 4.9.3 solved my problem. For this reason I have switched to GDAL 2.3.2.

The version of Protobuf seems to have no effects.

In conclusion my final configuration is the following:

PROJ4: 4.9.3
GDAL: 2.3.2
PROTOBUF: 3.8.0

Hope this helps other users and the developers to integrate the latest releases of the above libraries.

Thank you.

Andrea
plevy plevy
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MVT rendering problems in version 2.10.1

Andrea,

Have you re-visited GDAL 3 and PROJ 6?  It works for me, but not for another user.  Just wondering if you have tried it again.  Current thread:

Thank you 
--
Paul Levy : Pelican Mapping


On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 2:16 PM AndreaB [via osgEarth] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello again.

Finally I have found a configuration of libraries that solved my problem. I post here my conclusions hoping these help other users.

GDAL version 3.x requires PROJ4 version >= 6. Unfortunately it seems that osgEarth 2.10.1 has some problems using such version of PROJ4. I don't know why but using PROJ4 6.1 prevented me to view the MVT and caused strange errors in the management of the elevation data so that the tiles were not properly rendered.

Using PROJ4 version 4.9.3 solved my problem. For this reason I have switched to GDAL 2.3.2.

The version of Protobuf seems to have no effects.

In conclusion my final configuration is the following:

PROJ4: 4.9.3
GDAL: 2.3.2
PROTOBUF: 3.8.0

Hope this helps other users and the developers to integrate the latest releases of the above libraries.

Thank you.

Andrea


If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.osgearth.org/MVT-rendering-problems-in-version-2-10-1-tp7592654p7592673.html
To start a new topic under osgEarth, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from osgEarth, click here.
NAML
AndreaB AndreaB
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MVT rendering problems in version 2.10.1

Hi Plevy,

I'm sorry for my late reply, I was out of office.

I successfully built GDAL 3 with PROJ 6. My problem in this thread was related to osgEarth and PROJ 6:  it seems that the rendering of the MVT in osgEarth 2.10.1 requires PROJ 4, however in order to build GDAL 3 the requirement is PROJ version >= 6. This forced me to rebuild osgEarth 2.10.1 with GDAL 2.x and PROJ 4.

So, to reply to your post: GDAL 3 and PROJ 6 work fine for me and, at least for my applications, I didn't find problems.

Best regards.

Andrea



From: plevy [via osgEarth] <ml+[hidden email]>
Sent: Friday, September 13, 2019 12:21 AM
To: Andrea AB. Bracci <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: MVT rendering problems in version 2.10.1
 
Andrea,

Have you re-visited GDAL 3 and PROJ 6?  It works for me, but not for another user.  Just wondering if you have tried it again.  Current thread:

Thank you 
--
Paul Levy : Pelican Mapping


On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 2:16 PM AndreaB [via osgEarth] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello again.

Finally I have found a configuration of libraries that solved my problem. I post here my conclusions hoping these help other users.

GDAL version 3.x requires PROJ4 version >= 6. Unfortunately it seems that osgEarth 2.10.1 has some problems using such version of PROJ4. I don't know why but using PROJ4 6.1 prevented me to view the MVT and caused strange errors in the management of the elevation data so that the tiles were not properly rendered.

Using PROJ4 version 4.9.3 solved my problem. For this reason I have switched to GDAL 2.3.2.

The version of Protobuf seems to have no effects.

In conclusion my final configuration is the following:

PROJ4: 4.9.3
GDAL: 2.3.2
PROTOBUF: 3.8.0

Hope this helps other users and the developers to integrate the latest releases of the above libraries.

Thank you.

Andrea


If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.osgearth.org/MVT-rendering-problems-in-version-2-10-1-tp7592654p7592673.html
To start a new topic under osgEarth, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from osgEarth, click here.
NAML



If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.osgearth.org/MVT-rendering-problems-in-version-2-10-1-tp7592654p7592804.html
To unsubscribe from MVT rendering problems in version 2.10.1, click here.
NAML
plevy plevy
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MVT rendering problems in version 2.10.1

Andrea,

Thank you for your reply.  It was working fine for me so just wanted to double-check on the past treads that mentioned a similar problem.  I am sure we will re-visit the topic when more people are migrating to GDAL 3.X and Proj6.

Thank you
--
Paul Levy : Pelican Mapping 


On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 3:52 AM AndreaB [via osgEarth] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Plevy,

I'm sorry for my late reply, I was out of office.

I successfully built GDAL 3 with PROJ 6. My problem in this thread was related to osgEarth and PROJ 6:  it seems that the rendering of the MVT in osgEarth 2.10.1 requires PROJ 4, however in order to build GDAL 3 the requirement is PROJ version >= 6. This forced me to rebuild osgEarth 2.10.1 with GDAL 2.x and PROJ 4.

So, to reply to your post: GDAL 3 and PROJ 6 work fine for me and, at least for my applications, I didn't find problems.

Best regards.

Andrea



From: plevy [via osgEarth] <ml+[hidden email]>
Sent: Friday, September 13, 2019 12:21 AM
To: Andrea AB. Bracci <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: MVT rendering problems in version 2.10.1
 
Andrea,

Have you re-visited GDAL 3 and PROJ 6?  It works for me, but not for another user.  Just wondering if you have tried it again.  Current thread:

Thank you 
--
Paul Levy : Pelican Mapping


On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 2:16 PM AndreaB [via osgEarth] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello again.

Finally I have found a configuration of libraries that solved my problem. I post here my conclusions hoping these help other users.

GDAL version 3.x requires PROJ4 version >= 6. Unfortunately it seems that osgEarth 2.10.1 has some problems using such version of PROJ4. I don't know why but using PROJ4 6.1 prevented me to view the MVT and caused strange errors in the management of the elevation data so that the tiles were not properly rendered.

Using PROJ4 version 4.9.3 solved my problem. For this reason I have switched to GDAL 2.3.2.

The version of Protobuf seems to have no effects.

In conclusion my final configuration is the following:

PROJ4: 4.9.3
GDAL: 2.3.2
PROTOBUF: 3.8.0

Hope this helps other users and the developers to integrate the latest releases of the above libraries.

Thank you.

Andrea


If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.osgearth.org/MVT-rendering-problems-in-version-2-10-1-tp7592654p7592673.html
To start a new topic under osgEarth, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from osgEarth, click here.
NAML



If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.osgearth.org/MVT-rendering-problems-in-version-2-10-1-tp7592654p7592804.html
To unsubscribe from MVT rendering problems in version 2.10.1, click here.
NAML



If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.osgearth.org/MVT-rendering-problems-in-version-2-10-1-tp7592654p7592808.html
To start a new topic under osgEarth, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from osgEarth, click here.
NAML