1 message Options
Blanky Blanky
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Strange behavior of osgEarth::DrapeableNode

This post was updated on .
Hello,

I'm experiencing a strange effect on an infinitely scrolled Mercator projection. My scene graph is set up as the following:
   osg::Group* root
          |________ osg::MatrixTransform*
          |                          |________________ osgEarth::MapNode*
          |                          |________________ osgEarth::MapNode*
                                     |________________ osgEarth::MapNode*

The osgEarth::MapNode* under each osg::MatrixTransform is the same address. The Matrix Transforms are being used similarly as the osgearth / src / applications / osgearth_infinitescroll / osgearth_infinitescroll.cpp example. The extent of the osgEarth::MapNode* is just 180W to 180E.

My colleague and I have been having performance issues regarding using many osgEarth::Annotation::FeatureNodes, however we came up with the idea of stripping the points from the osgEarth::Geometry that gets created from the osgEarth::GeometryFactory that we were using to create the osgEarth::Feature::Features. Then, we also needed the ability to drape the osg::Geometry that we ended up making ourselves from the osgEarth::Geometry's createVec3dArray(). After all of this effort, everything appeared to be working.

The actual main issue: When we add an osg::Geode containing our osg::Geometry as a child to an osgEarth::DrapeableNode everything appears correctly. However, with the infinite scrolling matrix transforms, if zoomed far enough out, we should be able to see 3 copies of the osgEarth::MapNode and everything on them should be 100% identical. However, that is not the case. Either on the left or the right matrix transforms, the custom osg::Geode that we made is not visible, but only on the center matrix transform. We noticed if we called on the osgEarth::DrapeableNode::setDrapingEnabled(false) then we could see it again on all three. Our camera zoom will be in such a way that we should be able to only see one dateline border between matrix transforms at a time, either the leftmost extent of -180W or the rightmost extent of 180W.

When we create an osgEarth::Annotation::FeatureNode with an osgEarth::Features::Feature whose style has draping enabled on the AltitudeSymbol, it is still visible when on the off of the main center matrix transform. We checked the osgEarth::GeometryBuilder and noticed if that symbology is set, an osgEarth::DrapeableNode is created and added to the FeatureNode's _compiled internal representation. Is there something else we need to do to make it work, like it is for the osgEarth::FeatureNode?

Thanks for any help!