Thoughts on replacing the osgEarth Forum?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
gwaldron gwaldron
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Thoughts on replacing the osgEarth Forum?

Friends,

Nabble, the site that hosts this forum, is gradually spinning down operations. It has served us well these many years. The time has come to consider a new platform. We are inclined to use the GitHub Issue Tracker for all support and discussion threads. But, we would like to hear feedback from YOU before starting to plan for a move. OSG and VSG use Google Groups, for example. We'd like to hear a compelling argument for continuing to service more than one support platform.

Thoughts?
Glenn Waldron / Pelican Mapping
2LR 2LR
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Thoughts on replacing the osgEarth Forum?

I'm fine with GitHub but I'm flexible as long as I can get the help I need...;)
remoe remoe
Reply | Threaded
|

In reply to this post by gwaldron
It would be great when one can convert all Nabble posts to a new platform. I don't like google forum :)

Another idea: https://www.discourse.org/

Remo Eichenberger, Switzerland
gwaldron gwaldron
Reply | Threaded
|

I agree Remo - but I haven't seen an obvious way to get the messages over. We can probably get the Nabble guys to dump out a postgresql file. I think Discourse uses postgres too...
Glenn Waldron / Pelican Mapping
Nikkitta Nikkitta
Reply | Threaded
|

In reply to this post by gwaldron
I like this forum, it has a simple and clean interface, a convenient search in the forum. The only drawback is that you cannot reply to old threads and you have to create new topics that duplicate existing ones.

I do not like Google Groups at all. After the OSG forum moved to this system, I do not go there. I'm probably dumb, but I don't understand how what works there :)

For me it would be great to move this existing forum to some similar simple platform. My vote is for Discourse, it looks good. If it is resource-intensive, then I guess it would be fine to use GitHub.
Best regards,
Nikita Petrov