classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Eric Eric
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Using SRTM dataset in osgEarth

Hello.

I try to use the SRTM30 & SRTM3 datasets, available from the nasa ftp server at e0srp01u.ecs.nasa.gov/srtm/version2, inside osgearth.

The SRTM30 dataset contains 27 directories, each of them containing 12 differents files:
".dem", ".dif", ".dmw", ".gif", ".hdr", ".jpg", ".num", ".prj", ".sch", ".src", ".std", ".stx".
How can I use this dataset inside osgearth ? Which file format is the more suitable ?

The SRTM3 dataset contains about 900 directories, each of them containing 3 different files:
".hdr", ".tfw", ".tif".
Can I use directly the "tif" files, by putting them alltogether in a single directory, pointed by my "earth" file, or shall I use gis tools (such as GDAL) to transform the data in some ways ?

What is to your point of view the best & simplest way to use those datasets inside osgearth, and is there any alternative download source for the SRTM datasets, more suitable for osgearth (already processed / tuned) ?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Eric.
jasonbeverage jasonbeverage
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Using SRTM dataset in osgEarth

Hi Eric,

I would recommend taking the .dem files and merging them into a single GeoTiff using either gdal_merge or Global Mapper.  You should result in a GeoTiff that is about 2 GB I believe.  You can then just point to that SRTM data as a heightfield in osgEarth.

One tip would be to try to create a tile geoTiff by using -co "TILED=YES" if you are using GDAL.  Because of the way that osgEarth accesses the file, this is more effecient than using a scan-line based GeoTiff.

Thanks!

Jason

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 6:52 AM, Eric (via Nabble) - No Reply <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello.

I try to use the SRTM30 & SRTM3 datasets, available from the nasa ftp server at e0srp01u.ecs.nasa.gov/srtm/version2, inside osgearth.

The SRTM30 dataset contains 27 directories, each of them containing 12 differents files:
".dem", ".dif", ".dmw", ".gif", ".hdr", ".jpg", ".num", ".prj", ".sch", ".src", ".std", ".stx".
How can I use this dataset inside osgearth ? Which file format is the more suitable ?

The SRTM3 dataset contains about 900 directories, each of them containing 3 different files:
".hdr", ".tfw", ".tif".
Can I use directly the "tif" files, by putting them alltogether in a single directory, pointed by my "earth" file, or shall I use gis tools (such as GDAL) to transform the data in some ways ?

What is to your point of view the best & simplest way to use those datasets inside osgearth, and is there any alternative download source for the SRTM datasets, more suitable for osgearth (already processed / tuned) ?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Eric.

View message @ http://n2.nabble.com/Using-SRTM-dataset-in-osgEarth-tp2786588p2786588.html
To start a new topic under osgEarth, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from osgEarth, click here.