Why is it slow for me to load online maps?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
vigos lee vigos lee
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Why is it slow for me to load online maps?

Hi,
When I loaded the online map, I found the Internet speed utilization was very low.
Whether I use the XYZ / TMS /Arcgis/WMS driver.Their network does not exceed 1Mbps.
At first, I thought it was the libcurl problem.But even if I use the latest version of curl, it doesn't work.
Did I miss anything?
I use osgearth3.0+osg3.6.5.
Thank you for your help!
vigos
jasonbeverage jasonbeverage
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Why is it slow for me to load online maps?

There are a lot of factors that could go into the speed of downloads, so it's hard to say.  Your internet speed, server load and performance among other things.  There isn't anything in particular in osgEarth that purposefly limits network speed.  How are you measuring network speed when using osgEarth?  With normal usage of osgEarth you're just downloading small tiles as you zoom around so you're not going to get a sustained download stream, it's going to be doing lots of small individual requests which isn't going to saturate your network like downloading a large file would.

On Thu, Sep 3, 2020 at 10:22 PM vigos lee [via osgEarth] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
When I loaded the online map, I found the Internet speed utilization was very low.
Whether I use the XYZ / TMS /Arcgis/WMS driver.Their network does not exceed 1Mbps.
At first, I thought it was the libcurl problem.But even if I use the latest version of curl, it doesn't work.
Did I miss anything?
I use osgearth3.0+osg3.6.5.
Thank you for your help!
vigos

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.osgearth.org/Why-is-it-slow-for-me-to-load-online-maps-tp7593339.html
To start a new topic under osgEarth, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from osgEarth, click here.
NAML
vigos lee vigos lee
Reply | Threaded
|

Thank you, Jason.
 I got it.I only loaded an OpenStreetMap map by XYZ driver,I think the network speed should be normal.But when I zoom, it loads slowly.Are these small requests you say sent in parallel?Will they block?
Or is there something else that causes slow loading?such as libjpeg libpng?
Thank you for your help!
vigos
jasonbeverage jasonbeverage
Reply | Threaded
|

The OSM driver may be slower than other sources b/c it has to download multiple mercator tiles and mosaic them together into a geodetic tile for display.  They should be done in parallel if you set your database pager threads up to use more than the default 2.  For example I run with:
set OSG_NUM_DATABASE_THREADS=8
set OSG_NUM_HTTP_DATABASE_THREADS=4

that'll give you 4 http network threads and 8 total threads (so 4 for local requests from the cache).

Jason

On Fri, Sep 4, 2020 at 9:57 AM vigos lee [via osgEarth] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thank you, Jason.
 I got it.I only loaded an OpenStreetMap map by XYZ driver,I think the network speed should be normal.But when I zoom, it loads slowly.Are these small requests you say sent in parallel?Will they block?
Or is there something else that causes slow loading?such as libjpeg libpng?
Thank you for your help!
vigos

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.osgearth.org/Why-is-it-slow-for-me-to-load-online-maps-tp7593339p7593343.html
To start a new topic under osgEarth, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from osgEarth, click here.
NAML
vigos lee vigos lee
Reply | Threaded
|

Thank you, Jason.I got it.
vigos