issue with reprojection

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view

issue with reprojection

Dear all,

I would like to use the new version 3.1 because of the wonderful new C++ API.
However, I have the following two issue:

When configuring the map to SRS epsg:31254, the image layers from two different coordinate systems do not overlap (see corresponding earth file).
Everything is fine if I use spherical-mercator.
In contrast if I use version 2.9 both earth files work as expected.


I also recognized that when working in SRS epsg:31254 the performance is slightly worse, which is clear because of the required reprojection. However, as soon as I also add an elevation the performance performance drop is huge. While in spherical-mercator the performance of 3.1 is comparable to 2.9 , in SRS epsg:31254 version 3.1 takes forever and is barely useable despite when loading from prebuild cache. I did not experience any significant performance difference in 2.9 between the two projections.

Kind regards,
gwaldron gwaldron
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view

Re: issue with reprojection

Sorry you are having issues. Can you please run this and post the output?

osgearth_version --caps
Glenn Waldron / Pelican Mapping
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view

Re: issue with reprojection

Dear Glenn,

I recompiled everything including all dependencies and by that I was able to solve the first issue. The transformation is correct now. 3.1 now uses the newer gdal.

However, the performance issue remained. I now compare version 3.1 and an older version 2.10 both compiled via vcpkg.
The fastest option seems to be 2.10 with mp. If I use load data from an ssd (buffered wmts, geotiff, etc.) this version is very fast. If I additionally enable the cache for the elevation it is even faster.
On the other hand, version 3.1 is barely usable, despite if everything is already in the cache. But even cached it remains slower than 2.10 (mp) without cache.
I am taking about a few seconds to see something usefull and then maybe after 20s its fully loaded in 2.10 against several minutes in 3.10.

I also tested 2.7 and 2.8, etc. all are working fast.

Here is the output from osgearth_version:
[osgEarth]  [Capabilities] osgEarth Version: 2.10.0
[osgEarth]  [Capabilities] Detected hardware capabilities:
[osgEarth]  [Capabilities]   Vendor = NVIDIA Corporation
[osgEarth]  [Capabilities]   Renderer = GeForce GTX 1650 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
[osgEarth]  [Capabilities]   Version = 4.6.0 NVIDIA 452.41
[osgEarth]  [Capabilities]   Core Profile = no
[osgEarth]  [Capabilities]   Max GPU texture units = 32
[osgEarth]  [Capabilities]   Max GPU texture coord indices = 8
[osgEarth]  [Capabilities]   Max GPU attributes = 16
[osgEarth]  [Capabilities]   Depth buffer bits = 24
[osgEarth]  [Capabilities]   Max texture size = 32768
[osgEarth]  [Capabilities]   GLSL = yes
[osgEarth]  [Capabilities]   GLSL Version = 460
[osgEarth]  [Capabilities]   Texture arrays = yes
[osgEarth]  [Capabilities]   draw instanced = yes
[osgEarth]  [Capabilities]   Texture buffers = yes
[osgEarth]  [Capabilities]   Texture buffer max size = 134217728
[osgEarth]  [Capabilities]   Compression = ARB S3 RG

[osgEarth]  [Capabilities] Capabilities:
[osgEarth]  [Capabilities]   osgEarth Version:  3.1.0 build 100
[osgEarth]  [Capabilities]   OSG Version:       3.6.5
[osgEarth]  [Capabilities]   GDAL Version:      3.1.3
[osgEarth]  [Capabilities]   GEOS Version:      3.9.0
[osgEarth]  [Capabilities]   GPU Vendor:        NVIDIA Corporation
[osgEarth]  [Capabilities]   GPU Renderer:      GeForce GTX 1650 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
[osgEarth]  [Capabilities]   GL/Driver Version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 452.41
[osgEarth]  [Capabilities]   GL Core Profile:   no